Next Level Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NLG Retro 2011 Stage 2

4 posters

Go down

NLG Retro 2011 Stage 2 Empty NLG Retro 2011 Stage 2

Post  Sargoth Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:21 am

NLG RETRO STAGE 2 - 5 Games

Mario 64
- Get 10 stars as fast as possible. 20 minute time limit.
- Starting from a new game.

Zelda 3
- From a new Savefile, reach the sanctuary as quickly as possible.

Super Mario World
- From a new game, get 20 lives as quickly as possible.
- Three attempts
- No repeat lives or levels.
- No 8 bounces or more tricks to get 1UPs

Pilotwings
- Fastest run through the Dark Cavern
- 3 attempts

F-Zero X
- Death race mode
- Scores will be based on time if appliccable, or vehicles remaining

Objective : Everybody plays all 5 games , and the challenges are short this time. For Example " Mario 64 , collect 10 stars as fast as you can" then your time will be put into a ranking with the other 7 player that reached Level 2 . First place gives 14 points , Second place 12 points and so on.Last place gives no points , as same as failing the challenge. The 4 players with the most TOTAL points from Level 1 AND 2 will reach Level 3 aka the quarter Finals.

Last edited by Sargoth on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-04-17

http://nextlevelgaming.ogamewar.com

Back to top Go down

NLG Retro 2011 Stage 2 Empty Re: NLG Retro 2011 Stage 2

Post  Illu Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:43 pm

What's startropics? I found some NES game when I searched for it.

Can we have Mario64 10 stars, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Fzero haven't played much, deathrace sounds scary.

Illu

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sargoth Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:21 pm

Illu wrote:What's startropics? I found some NES game when I searched for it.

Can we have Mario64 10 stars, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Fzero haven't played much, deathrace sounds scary.

Startropics is an old Nes game indeed. Sort of the same genre as Zelda.

Mario 64 10 star challenge is definitely something I was considering, but as it stands, it didnt make the cut, eventhough it is an awesome challenge. If some of the current challenges turn out to be flawed however, it will defo be next in line.

Fzero X i dont know myself either, but I`m looking forward to failing horribly at it if nothing else.
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  WMJ Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:21 pm

I have never played Startropics either so that's gonna be a real challenge. Don't know if I'll find the time to play completely through it to practice the ending. For F-Zero X I suggest everyone gets 2 attempts since Death Race can be so luck dependent. At least the times I get are pretty much in a 20 second range from best to worst depending on luck for a large part.

WMJ

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sargoth Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:58 pm

WMJ wrote:I have never played Startropics either so that's gonna be a real challenge. Don't know if I'll find the time to play completely through it to practice the ending. For F-Zero X I suggest everyone gets 2 attempts since Death Race can be so luck dependent. At least the times I get are pretty much in a 20 second range from best to worst depending on luck for a large part.

Yeah the Startropics challenges is currently being revised, seeing as it is very hard to set up and practice, and very few people have played the game, being a forgotten\overlooked gem and all.
Dont worry about that just yet, as it seems quite possible it will get a last minute exchange.

F Zero X - When this is the case, heavy random factors, the NLG standard is to give 3 attempts to even out the difference. This seems completely logical for this game, and will be the case. However there needs to be a time limit in addition to this. 10 minutes should be fine right?
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KVD Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:07 am

Yeah, 3 minutes per finished run is right about the maximum amount you can get...I mean if you're playing on a somewhat competitive lvl and know what you are doing. If not, you will probably crash before 3 mins anyway. Not sure if 3 attempts is the way to go though, it would become a bit too predictable scorewise, how about 2 like Wouter suggested?
It's similar in difficulty to Pilot Wings run though maybe, so if that's 3 runs, then sure.
KVD
KVD

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sargoth Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:28 am

KVD wrote:Yeah, 3 minutes per finished run is right about the maximum amount you can get...I mean if you're playing on a somewhat competitive lvl and know what you are doing. Not sure if 3 attempts is the way to go though, it would become a bit too predictable scorewise, how about 2 like Wouter suggested?

Im a for predictability scorewise. If the best player gets the best score ( without it being a 100 attempts type deal ) then Im all for it tbh.
I have yet to try the challenge myself, but WMJ says the difference can equal 20 seconds, then thats something that is completely fine for 3 attempts. I could change the time limit of course, to 5 minutes, so you`ll basically have to choose which run to finish, or if you fail 2, you can just about make time for a third.

Again, I have never tried this challenge, but generally Im by default not in favour of the 2 attempts train of thought. 3 gives a decent room for error, and for upped quality, without giving you an absurd amount of attempts to take all the tension out of it. Not that 3 is a perfect number for every challenge, but for challenges where a single attempt is not feasible, i lean towards 3, or perhaps a set amount of time. 2, 4, 7, or 11 attempts seem arbitrary to me, allthough I am completely aware that my preference towards 1, 3, 5 and 10 is coloured by previous standards for tournaments, fairy tales, sports, etc. This also partially due to the fact that you cant play a 2-player game\sports in a best out of 4 or 6, hence for competetive standards, 3 and 5 and such a tournament standards often times( SMK MR CDM being FT11 I believe? However that is strange, extremely time consuming and impossible in any other settings than that tournament ).

Edit: Ah yes, Pilotwings is indeed 3, however I am contemplating a change to 5 attempts there seeing as proper consistancy is nigh impossible on that particular challenge. Hopefully we can stick to 3 though, but I wanna see some more people giving it a go first.
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 am

Seeing there were at least 2 more people here who like Wave Race 64 I'd like to bring that up also as a suggestion along with Mario 64 that I mentioned earlier if we cut out any of the games here.
Wave Race you could go with time trial for one level, you could also go with stunt, or beating the game on expert championship mode, Wave Race is actually ridiculously easy to beat even on expert if you have played the game a lot so I guess everyone would at least have a good chance at finishing if they practice it some.

If going with just beating the game on expert then the winner could be decided on how many 1st places each got. Time trial 3 attempts on one of the levels or 3 attempts on a stunt score on one of the levels should work just as good though, maybe better actually since there could still be some random crap happening on championship mode.

Illu

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  KVD Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am

Super Mario 64 10 star run worked a charm last time, I really enjoyed that. So I'd happily vouch for that, in the case of changes taking place.
KVD
KVD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sargoth Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 am

Made a change. Startropics is gone , replaced by Mario 64 10 stars challenge.

Now im off for my trip to Holland. Catch you guys on the flipside ( or from Yngves place, but it`s a tad hazardous to borrow his computer as he is likely to distract so I forget to log out, and then post something of a somewhat dodgy nature in my name.... ).
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KVD Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:48 am

You should probably contact me once more about what time you will arrive at our place? Or did you arrange something with Stab?
KVD
KVD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sargoth Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:06 pm

Stage 2 is moving along somewhat. We will be finishing this tomorrow it seems.

Notable scores :

Super Mario World : Illu - 2:18
Mario 64: Illu - 11:11
F Zero-X: Wouter Jansen - 58:33
Pilotwings 64: Karel - 48:89
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Back to top Go down