Next Level Gaming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Share your test runs

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Share your test runs - Page 2 Empty Re: Share your test runs

Post  Sargoth Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Illu wrote:Tried some Goldeneye 00a and only got to 8 points because of a death on Bunker2.. I improved my strategy some after this and decided I definitely need to use a dot and prefer to do this on PAL for slightly better survival odds for a few levels.

The safest strategies I have right now might not make me manage the timelimit of 1 hour, well if I get like 15 points it's still alot safer points than with most of these other games probably.

I think I was pretty lucky to beat this game last without any practice really (I've only played very little GE lately) Still that run didn't make the timelimit though since I was playing things as safe as possible.

I also had a really stupid death on control where a guard pulled a grenade and I happened to shoot it and blew up, after this I changed my strategy there so I won't ever have to face that stupid guard ever again Razz

Apparently I need to practice even GE a little more, I was almost getting overconfident after beating the game like that on my first test run heh.

Always great to hear about more attempts and the likes. You are making this sound sickeningly difficult now thought, which makes me think I should reconsider the point system for this challenge. Cant do much to points pr level, but adding a 3 pount completion bonus seems absolutely reasonable judging from what I`m hearing. Also this was at first intended, so I have no problem putting it back. However I wont be doing any more changes until I reach Holland and get to the house of gaming, which would be around the 25th or so.
Shouldnt make too much of a difference to you though Illu, seeing as practicing the game will be pretty much the same Razz
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-04-17

http://nextlevelgaming.ogamewar.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KVD Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:21 pm

I think the 1 hour timelimit, though practical, is too steep. You have to get the time to safe it a little, like in the other runs. Stage 1 for me is more about being able to achieve targets at all, with the time limits merely being there to prevent mucking about. So that in the hands of a decent player, the time limit should be no factor whatsoever. 15 mins extra anyone?
KVD
KVD

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sargoth Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:32 pm

KVD wrote:I think the 1 hour timelimit, though practical, is too steep. You have to get the time to safe it a little, like in the other runs. Stage 1 for me is more about being able to achieve targets at all, with the time limits merely being there to prevent mucking about. So that in the hands of a decent player, the time limit should be no factor whatsoever. 15 mins extra anyone?

Actually , for this particular challenge that sounds more than reasonable. I`d even stretch it to 30 mins extra , but that might be unecessary?
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:35 pm

yea would be sweet to have the chanse to get 3 bonus points Smile

had couple more tries of GE

on PAL first: time ran out on Cradle, started timing from when I selected the file.. so this was 17points reached

on NTSC: time ran out on Aztec, 18pts.

Lost time on having to be too safe on a couple levels not to die, system (PAL NTSC) probably won't matter heh, I might go with NTSC now anyways though since I've played it more.

I came like 4-5minutes short on the 2nd attempt so not too bad.

Illu

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2011-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Sargoth wrote:

Actually , for this particular challenge that sounds more than reasonable. I`d even stretch it to 30 mins extra , but that might be unecessary?

Yea well 15min extra should be fine if going by that time shouldn't be a factor like Karel said, if I'd be going as slow as 1h 30min it probably gets harder and harder just to keep focus up after that long time heh. I guess if others than me might try this though why not make it 1h30min though so that slower player could also have a chanse, definitely not longer than 1h30min timelimit though or it could be stretching this too far heh. I doubt anyone will be alive after 1h30min anyways heh...

Illu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sargoth Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:08 pm

Illu wrote:
Sargoth wrote:

Yea well 15min extra should be fine if going by that time shouldn't be a factor like Karel said, if I'd be going as slow as 1h 30min it probably gets harder and harder just to keep focus up after that long time heh. I guess if others than me might try this though why not make it 1h30min though so that slower player could also have a chanse, definitely not longer than 1h30min timelimit though or it could be stretching this too far heh. I doubt anyone will be alive after 1h30min anyways heh...

Thank you so much for the feedback Illu. Greatly appreciate it. 75 minutes is now the ruling.
Sargoth
Sargoth
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  WMJ Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:22 pm

I've improved my F-Zero X Death Race time to 36"122 PAL, making it faster than my NTSC pr without conversion Razz . I also got it with the regular side attack strat. The railslide strat is too inconsistent and hard to use for just 3 attempts I think.

I also tried the Goldeneye stage 1 challenge a bit. I got to Silo a couple of times reasonably fast to complete the whole challenge but I can only get through Silo playing ridiculously slow. Other problem levels are bunker 2, train and control. Even in the unlikely scenario that I would make it pretty far there is random stuff happening even on easy levels like Archives with guards throwing grenades when you're talking to that guy for the safe key. I think I'll focus on other challenges and only try this as a backup because it's too hard for a non-goldeneye expert like myself bom .

WMJ

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:07 pm

I barely knew that one could die in a Zelda game, but Zelda1 is freaking nuts.

I watched the SDA speedrun a little again but that one was a total mindfuck.

Illu

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:51 am

Mario 64 - 10 stars in 9:07min

Started timing when I selected a new file, so this was with the beginning cinema counted in, stopped timing when I hit the last star. (I think we'll time it like this anyways but just saying)

I'm pretty consistent with low 9min times

Illu

Back to top Go down

Post  KVD Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Illu or anyone reading this...do you have a copy of SMB1 (NES)? If so, please inform us and take it with you. We need at least 2 copies for the simul runs of the retro tournament finals. We only have 1 so far.
KVD
KVD

Back to top Go down

Post  KVD Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:03 pm

Best runs out of our test runs so far:

Zelda 3
1 Patrick 6.22
2 Karel 6.31
3 Sargoth 6.32

Super Mario World
1 Patrick 2.02
2 Karel 2.03
3 Sargoth 2.04

Pilotwings
1 Sargoth 52.62
2 Karel 57"xx
KVD
KVD

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:40 am

I'll bring with me some games, GE, PD, wave race64, mario64 ntsc stuff.. I don't have a single NES game or console unfortunately.

I sent Marius a message where I'm asking for his phonenumber btw but he had already ran off over to Holland so he's not been checking his mail since then I think, so yea I'd need that one to call him when I get there.

Illu

Back to top Go down

Post  KVD Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:41 am

Ill PM it tonight, and Patrick's # in case. Your SM64 runs are sick Illu! Looking forward to see that stuff.
KVD
KVD

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:37 pm

alright great

nice test runs btw, looks like you've got the strat down for Zelda now since marius improved his time so much too

I tried mario world and got 2:13, I think I'm doing stuff right, just PAL slowing me down again on this one so don't let it fool ya Razz

mario world looks like it could be a scary close race anyways

Illu

Back to top Go down

Post  Illu Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 am

dark cavern 50:35

don't remember how many tries this took though, I had been practising this before too

Illu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2